How to choose the right collar for your puppy | The Best Puppy Collar
Puppy collar bears a real value in a pet owners life. Puppies are very adorable when they are in their early childhood. They have very soft and delicate skin. People usually prefer to pet the puppies because they get easily attached to the owner. However, when you pet a puppy you are bound with the responsibility of keeping it safe from every possible threat. There are a number of tactics used by the pet owners to keep it safe. The possible threat that could be faced by a puppy are:
- it may run into trouble if it is not hooked with the collar.
- it could be stolen easily.
- there is a possibility for it to creating a mess for you if not tied.
- escape from the house if the doors are not locked and fences are not built.
Puppy Collar for the puppy’s safety
In order to prevent these threats, it is suggested to keep your puppy restrained with the help of a collar. But a question arises here. There are a number of collars available in the market, but how would you know the appropriateness of a particular collar for your puppy. For that purpose, you have to carry out a little research to find out which collars are suitable for the puppies, and how to choose the right puppy collar for your pet?
In this blog, we will try to find out different variables, features, specifications that must be considered while purchasing a collar for the puppies. Keep reading to find out How to choose the right collar for your puppy.
To start with, first, decide the type of collar
Choose the collar type
It is suggested to go with the Flat Dog Collar for your puppy’s first collar. Flat dog collars are the most common and are easily available at any pet shop. Flat dog collars will allow your puppy to easily adjust to wearing a collar as they have an adjustable length and are easily fitted with a snap buckle.
- Try purchasing a flat dog collar as your puppy’s first collar so they adjust to wearing one regularly.
Breakaway Collars for puppies spending more time outside
Breakaway collars are designed to become undone once they encounter obstructions or potential choking hazards, like branches or fences. Breakaway collars are similarly designed as flat collars, which come with an adjustable length and snap buckle or clip. These collars are great solutions for puppies who spend a significant amount outside or roam around rooms unattended.
Go for the Nylon Puppy Collar
Collars are available in various materials, but the most common materials are leather, nylon, and chain. If you are not gonna use this collar for your puppy’s training than choose a material that will be affordable and comfortable. All three materials come with their own set of perks, but puppies will most likely be more comfortable in a nylon or leather collar.
Collar width is crucial
Collar width determines the surface area of pressure that your dog will feel when pulling on a leash. The larger the width, the larger the surface area. A larger surface area means that the pressure will be more evenly distributed and be more comfortable during walks. However, collars with a larger width can also be more uncomfortable when your dog is trying to relax.
- Note that the width of the Collar is proportional to the circumference of the Dog’s neck. The weight also matters to some extent.
- For example: If a dog is no more than 15 pounds, his or her neck would most likely be 8″ to 14″ in circumference, and therefore, the puppy collar widths between 5/8″ and 1″ would be most ideal.
Collar size for Puppies
Size matters the most in puppy collar. Make sure to take measurements of your Dog’s neck before purchasing a particular collar. It is best to take the Dog along when you go for buying the Collar for your Dog. Mentioned here a few points to consider while purchasing collars:
- A too-large collar can slip off, and a too-small collar can choke your puppy or damage his/her skin.
- Measure around your puppy’s neck and consult a sizing chart for the brand of Collar you plan to purchase.
- The Collar does not stretch itself; please leave at least two fingers between the collar and dog neck.
- A properly fitting collar and harness won’t leave any room for your puppy to chew.
Have a glance at the chart to find out the dog collar sizes – puppies usually lie in small and x-small category:
Do consider the fur type
Considering your dog’s fur type will allow you to make the appropriate puppy collar choice for your pet. Collars will fit differently on dogs with thicker fur, especially before and after haircuts. Note what kind of fur your dog has so that you can make the proper adjustments as their coat grows.
- For thick-haired puppies, it is suggested to have their fur trimmed before measuring neck size.
- It is better to go for an adjustable collar since the fur will grow again and it would enable the collar to readjust.
Suggested reads: The Best Dog Collars
Puppies are very adorable and innocent pets. They love their owners and stay loyal to them forever. Puppies must be kept safe from any danger. The best way to provide safety to your puppy is to put a puppy collar around its neck. However, the selection of a collar requires some research as well. You should consider a few things before rushing to purchase the collar. This article tends to articulate a few important keynotes that must be considered while purchasing a collar for the puppies. Do write to us in the comments if you want to ask anything. We are open to your suggestions and queries.
Related Article: Dog Collars for Puppies