How To Take Care Of Cats and Kittens
Pets can prove to be the best friends of human beings. They are fun to keep and get along with but only when you know the right way to take care of cats and kittens. The way you treat your pets will determine the type of experience you will have. It can be awesome or dreadful. For this reason, as soon as you start thinking of having a pet you must first go through the guidelines on how to take care of the cat you intend to have.
Here we will talk specifically about cats. So, if you have decided to get a cat as your pet then it is recommended to go through the basic guidelines on how to take care of a cat. The following points might prove helpful in this regard.
Get a Suitable Cat House
Cats love to spend some of their time alone in a closed environment especially during the following activities:
So, make sure you get your cat a suitable cat house which is comfortable and has all the necessary things in it such as:
- Food and water bowls
- Scratch posts
- Litter tray
Use Products Designed for Cats
Only use the products designed for cats in their feed and on their skin. Never ever use human products or products made for other specific animals for example dogs as this may cause serious allergic reactions and health damage to your cat.
Groom Your Cat
Cats need to be groomed on a regular basis to stay hygienic and free from diseases and also to ensure their surroundings stay clean. Grooming a cat includes the following points:
- Most cats don’t enjoy getting a bath but in order to keep them and their environment germ-free, it is necessary to bathe your cat frequently.
- Make sure you take out ample amount of time for bathing your cat especially if the cat is long-haired
- Place your cat in a bowl having a little volume of lukewarm water and pour lukewarm water gently on your cat using a shower head or bowl avoiding the eyes and ears
- After making sure that your cat is completely soaked apply cat shampoo and rinse the cat’s coat well avoiding the eyes and ears
- Rinse well and dry your cat using towel and hairdryer
- For cleaning ears and eyes it is recommended to use pet ear and eye wipes
- Cats can be smelly sometimes so better use fragrance on your cat that is suitable for cat skin
Brushing your cat’s hair
As cats are hairy, frequent brushing is required for which you can use a bendable brush for combing your cat’s coat and a furminator for detangling knots and resolving the hair shedding problem.
How To Trim Nails of Your Cats ?
Most of the cats show a lot of resistance to trimming their nails and get extremely mad. If not done rightly they might in revenge scratch you or bite you. So, make sure you know the right technique of handling your cat while trimming the nails. It might be useful to get help from your vet as well.
- First of all, place your cat in a relaxed position and gently hold the paw of your cat
- Press the paw softly so that the claws can get visible and then cut the outer part of the nail
- Don’t cut too deep as it will hurt the cat and make the paw bleed
Feed Your Cats
One of the important things in taking care of your cat is to know how to correctly feed your cat.
Your cat should have access to fresh water when thirsty and get a suitable feed when hungry. Like human beings, cats are also susceptible to developing diseases and getting obese if not fed well hence it is recommended to get connected with a vet for knowing the right feeding regime for your cat.
Litter Train Your Cat
There is not much training needed for it as cats are already naturally trained for toileting and just require a secluded environment for it. Pointing on the litter tray two to three times at the time of toileting will help the cat recognize the purpose of the tray.
You must ensure the litter tray is placed in a sheltered area away from food and water bowls and bed of the cat.
Get Routine Visits to a Vet
Make sure you identify a reasonable vet nearby your home and plan periodic visits to him or her for routine check-ups of your cat. Also, follow the vaccination schedule strictly given by the vet. Moreover, adhere to the healthcare tips given by the vet to safeguard the health of your cat.
Ensure Safety of the Cat
Cats love to explore new things and places. This may sometimes cause them to land in a troublesome situation. For this reason, you must be extra vigilant in order to ensure the safety of your cat.
- Keep doors and windows closed
- Fill in the gaps in your house as cats love to squeeze into the smallest of places
- Avoid access to your cats to kitchen
- Make sure all the electronic items are unapproachable to your cat
- Supervise fireplaces
Keeping and taking care of cats requires patience and consistency. It is a great responsibility but if you treat them right, and follow the above guide on how to take care of cat you will definitely find the best companion in them.
If you also like to have goldfish at home and need to know how you can care. Here is the guide.